Mkango Resources has announced the successful completion of the flotation pilot plant programme for the Songwe Hill Rare Earths project in Malawi.
William Dawes, Chief Executive of Mkango stated:
“We are very pleased to have completed this major milestone for the Project and look forward to updating the market when the results are available.
“The smooth commissioning of the flotation pilot plant is a strong credit to the ALS Metallurgy team, as well as Mkango’s technical consultants and advisors.
“The flotation pilot plant provides Mkango’s lead engineers, SENET (a DRA Global Group Company), with essential operating data for the Feasibility Study and to assist in engineering the Company’s commercial scale operation.”
- Mkango’s flotation pilot plant programme has been completed at ALS Metallurgy in Perth, Australia, and was effective in scaling up a new, optimised flotation regime for the Project
- The results of the flotation pilot programme will be announced in due course, and the flotation concentrate produced will be supplied to ANSTO in Australia for hydrometallurgical piloting
- Pre-piloting test work is already underway at ANSTO in preparation for pilot testing of the front end of the hydrometallurgical processing flow sheet
- Discussions in relation to sites for a rare earth separation plant are ongoing – this will process the high grade, purified mixed rare earth carbonate produced at Songwe, enriched in high value neodymium, praseodymium, dysprosium and terbium
- Rare earth prices continue to rise and concerns over security of supply provide a very favourable market backdrop, with accelerating demand geared to growth in electric vehicles, wind power and green technology applications