Canadian-listed diamond mining company Rockwell Diamonds Inc. has signed a major new deal with Cape Town-based security solutions company i to i technologies to establish the world’s first turnkey security initiative for its South African mining operations.
Roll-out of the state-of-the-art system is underway, with teams actively working at Rockwell’s Northern Cape mines, which include the Holpan Klipdam property, located 45 km from Kimberley.
A new product with certain applications in the mining, quarrying and construction industries has been launched on the South African market. The manufacturers claim that it can crack even the largest rocks overnight, with no flying debris and no danger to the surrounding environment.
One of the leading mining engineering consultancies in South Africa, Read, Swatman & Voigt (Pty) Ltd (RSV), is expanding its client base to include investors and lenders in the mining industry to meet the increasing demand for high-level evaluations of mining projects. These include initial technical assessments, due diligence studies, competent person’s reports and feasibility studies.
In a move to enhance its technology offering in the field of minerals processing, Johannesburg– based IMS Engineering has entered into a partnership with Colognebased Steinert Elektromagnetbau GmbH – a global leader in separation technology for the recycling, metals and mining industries.
This partnership enables the South African company not only to offer the sensor-based separation and sorting systems it has become known for – like optical and X-ray sorting – but also the more traditional Steinert separation systems that use eddy current and magnetic technologies.
Latest indications are that — once restarted — the Kinsenda copper mine in the Katanga province of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has the potential to become an exceedingly competitive copper mine.
This is the optimistic forecast in the latest update released by Australian-based Copper Resources Corporation (CRC), the majority 75% shareholder in Minière de Musoshi et Kinsenda (MMK), which holds Kinsenda and two other high-grade deposits in the Katanga province. The remaining 25% of MMK is held 20% by the state company, SODIMICO, and 5% by the Forrest Group, the largest private business in Katanga.
Initial mining has started at the Lupoto resource of the Kalumines coppercobalt project in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC).
Kalumines is owned 60% by Teal Exploration & Mining Incorporated – a growth-oriented mineral development and exploration company listed on the Toronto and Johannesburg Stock Exchanges – and 40% by the DRC government operation, La Générale des Carrières et des Mines (Gecamines).
Founded in October 1915, and operating from headquarters in Port Elizabeth and Johannesburg with a manufacturing plant in Uitenhage, the company employs more than 400 people. It supplies superior quality conveyors, hose and power transmission products, with approximately 80% of production dedicated to producing conveyor belts for both the mining and industrial sectors.
A WIN-WIN BEE MODEL
In 2005 GEP began its move towards empowerment. For the next 18 months the company worked closely with the Secretariat of the South African Preferential Procurement Forum to form a win-win model for BEE compliance, the challenge being to implement transformation initiatives while at the same time educating a foreign shareholder base which remained largely uninformed about the previous imbalance in economic distribution.
The SPX STONE range of DC power units is gaining increasing support in the South African mining industry.
“This year, we have sold this range of power components for applications ranging from mobile lifting systems to carryout maintenance on overhead power lines to emergency locomotive brakes,” reveals Power Team general manager Ian Bennett. “On the latter, the SPX STONE unit is used to charge the accumulator on the emergency brake system. The accumulator, in turn, is connected via a solenoid valve to the brake calliper, for instant, reliable response when needed,” he explains.