It is also educational and extensive in scope and content, and complements the Chamber of Mines’ existing website – featuring latest industry news from Zambia and around the world, a live updated copper price, tracking of the price of other mineral resources and the Kwacha/US Dollar exchange rate.
“It’s a world-first in the topics covered, the ease of reading and its daily round-up of news and financial information,” says Zambia Chamber of Mines president Nathan Chishimba.
“This powerful website is a must-read for anyone wanting to understand the role of mining in the Zambian economy and society. We expect readers to return to the site daily, or at least weekly, to keep themselves updated – especially as we continue to add new content. It will appeal to all who follow the mining industry, be they experts or ordinary Zambians,” he adds.
[quote]The website is part of an on-going programme of strategic, public engagement by the mining industry to promote a better understanding of the industry.
It also follows the launch of the booklet “Understanding Mineral Royalty Tax (MRT)” by the Zambia Chamber of Mines earlier this year.
“Mining in Zambia is relatively under-reported, and there are deep and abiding misconceptions about what it actually does and its impact on society and the economy,” Chishimba points out. “MiningforZambia.com aims to help correct that.”
The website’s primary content is free for anyone who wishes to access it.
Its five key sections are:
- Understanding mining – which covers topics such as starting a new mine, the capital-intensive nature of mining, and why the copper price fluctuates on world markets;
- Zambia’s mines – which gives an overview of the Zambian mining sector, the key role played by the “Big Four” mines, and their challenges and opportunities;
- Social contribution – which explains, through case studies, how mines contribute to the development of communities;
- Economic contribution – which explains how the industry contributes to fiscal and macro-economic development, and how it can stimulate local economic development; and
- Did you know – which is packed with fun facts and mind-boggling