The National Union of Mineworkers, or NUM, has signed a “substantive” one-year wage agreement with Petra Diamonds’ Cullinan diamond mine.
The signed wage agreement is structured as follows:
- Wage increases in the categories A & B is 8.5%
- Wage increases in the category C is 7%
- Living out allowance in categories A & B is R 1 400 per month
- Housing allowance in category C increased to R2 825 per month
- Medical Aid in categories A & B is R970 per month
- Medical Aid in category C is R2 370 per month
- Company pension fund contribution in the categories A & B is going to be 8.5%
The parties also agreed that there will be an additional salary adjustment for the periods July, August and September 2018.
In a press statement, the NUM noted that it is pleased that this wage negotiation was amicably concluded without hiccups. “it only took two hours to reach an agreement.”
The NUM has expressed its gratitude to its members at Petra Diamonds‘ Cullinan mine for the manner in which they behaved during the negotiation period.mm“Our members are excited and they gave us this mandate to sign the agreement,” says William Mabapa, NUM deputy general secretary.