In a move to enhance its technology offering in the field of minerals processing, Johannesburg– based IMS Engineering has entered into a partnership with Colognebased Steinert Elektromagnetbau GmbH – a global leader in separation technology for the recycling, metals and mining industries.
This partnership enables the South African company not only to offer the sensor-based separation and sorting systems it has become known for – like optical and X-ray sorting – but also the more traditional Steinert separation systems that use eddy current and magnetic technologies.
London-based and AIM-listed Brinkley Mining Plc – a uraniumfocused exploration and development company – has signed a framework agreement which gives it a 75% interest in the uranium projects of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). The agreement is a joint venture with the DRC government, which holds the other 25%.
At a conservative estimate, the DRC uranium resources are reported to be worth at least US100 million (more than R700 million) to Brinkley, although this is regarded as merely the tip of the iceberg in such an under-explored and uranium-rich region.
Founded in October 1915, and operating from headquarters in Port Elizabeth and Johannesburg with a manufacturing plant in Uitenhage, the company employs more than 400 people. It supplies superior quality conveyors, hose and power transmission products, with approximately 80% of production dedicated to producing conveyor belts for both the mining and industrial sectors.
A WIN-WIN BEE MODEL
In 2005 GEP began its move towards empowerment. For the next 18 months the company worked closely with the Secretariat of the South African Preferential Procurement Forum to form a win-win model for BEE compliance, the challenge being to implement transformation initiatives while at the same time educating a foreign shareholder base which remained largely uninformed about the previous imbalance in economic distribution.
The SPX STONE range of DC power units is gaining increasing support in the South African mining industry.
“This year, we have sold this range of power components for applications ranging from mobile lifting systems to carryout maintenance on overhead power lines to emergency locomotive brakes,” reveals Power Team general manager Ian Bennett. “On the latter, the SPX STONE unit is used to charge the accumulator on the emergency brake system. The accumulator, in turn, is connected via a solenoid valve to the brake calliper, for instant, reliable response when needed,” he explains.
A newcomer to the mining industry is the SFL 60 XLP – a specially developed prototype for an extremely low-profile underground loader. It has been developed by Schopf Maschinenbau GmbH of Ostfildern near Stuttgart – manufacturer of specialised loading machines for underground use for more than 60 years.
Since introducing Jetfloat at the beginning of 2006, BET has successfully penetrated the local market for floating platforms and walkways required for applications that include mining and industrial process operations, as well as jetties and marinas for various marine, fishing and recreational purposes.
“Before we introduced Jetfloat users of floating walkways and platforms had to make do with constructions mounted on metal or plastic fuel drums, or similar improvisatory solutions,” says BET spares and services manager Paul Davies.
“We are currently involved in Southern African mining projects worth some US$350 million (close to R3.5 billion), and we are completing feasibility studies which we expect to convert to contracts worth anywhere between US$700 million (R5 billion) and US$1 billion (R7 billion) in the next two to three years,” says CEO George Bennett in an exclusive interview with Mining Review Africa.
“The first phase saw the emergence of our newly-formed company in August 2007 with Royal Bafokeng Capital as the 65% controlling shareholder,” he explains, “although this stake will be reduced to 60% in due course.”
Also incorporated in this first phase was the acquisition of two productive coal mines (the Umlabu and Ilanga mines) for a combined total of R210 million. Completion of Phase One was marked by the official change in the name of the company to SACMH on 20 August 2007, following the listing of the company on the Main Board of the JSE on 31 July 2007.
Revealing this in an exclusive interview with Mining Review Africa, executive officer - Africa underground region - Robbie Lazare, confirms that current uranium production of 1.3 million pounds per annum will increase incrementally each year, but will jump to over 2Mtpa in three years’ time.