Social responsibility is a core component of any mining company operating in the 21st century.
The challenge of most mining companies is to collate and integrate the many components that encompass the effective management of their social responsibility.
It’s not a matter of not knowing what and how to manage this responsibility, but rather to have the ability to “finetune” efforts to maximise efficacy for all stakeholders.
What is Isapp?
iSAPP is an electronic software application that integrates all the various aspects and components required to effectively manage one’s social responsibility.
A management system to enable executives and managers tasked for responsible stakeholder partnership mining, to have a quick and real-time social performance overview for the day to day management, and strategic social direction.
A real-time risk register (all stakeholders) is at the core of iSAPP and is surrounded by several other modules to ensure risk gauges are current. These modules, to enable an integrated system, are:
- Stakeholder engagements
- Community profiling and demographics
- Cultural heritage
- Vulnerability and marginalised groups and individuals
- Risk Controls (social plans / SLPs / CSIs / other) with KPIs and clear intended outcomes
- Incidents and grievances
- Monitoring and audits
- International best practice review elements;
- General dashboards
- Management dashboards and reports
- Action Manager (track, notification, and escalation)
Read more about ESG
iSAPP is deployed at one of the largest opencast platinum producers in the world based in the Limpopo Province in South Africa, surrounded by some 50 communities within a 50 km radius and several of these being doorstep communities.
iSAPP – ISO
iSAPP ensures alignment to the overarching principle of the PDCA model – “Plan – Do – Check – Act” as embedded in international standards. The iSAPP modules is structured to enable the integration between the PDCA components to give you the edge in terms of compliance to similar international standards and best practice.
- Social performance at your fingertips
- Specifically designed dashboards for quarterly social performance review – information well-structured to keep the process focused
- Don’t have to run around at quarter and year-end to collate data from different sheets, power-point slides, departments, and systems – one-stop-shop
- Proactively identify social plans (risk controls) that are performing outside their intended scope and close gaps timeously
- Roles and responsibilities clearly defined (KPIs) – RACI
- Critical control monitoring
- Realtime view on beneficiation and fairness
- Social investment budget recon per, community / region / investment category / vulnerability / marginalisation / impact / social plan category
- Suitable for small and large enterprise; and
- Roadmap to certification and measure against international best practice (ISO & IRMA)
Lonkie Roelofsz, CEO of LWTR Consulting and Director of HNL Applications