Babcock is preparing to introduce a new line-up of rigid haulers into the mining and quarrying sector in southern Africa following Volvo Construction Equipment’s announcement that the Swedish equipment manufacturer has launched its own range of Volvo CE-branded rigid haulers.
The Volvo R100E is an entirely new Volvo CE product with a design focused on cost-effective production, durability, comfort and safety.
The fully electronic Cummins QST30 engine provides superior power and fuel efficiency via an improved ‘connected’ drivetrain.
The R100E delivers high levels of productivity and performance via a large 60.4 m3 carrying capacity in the newly designed ‘double v-type’ body.
This article first appeared in Mining Review Africa Issue 5 2018
Designed to meet customer demands for a rigid hauler that delivers comfort, performance and productivity, the R100E simultaneously provides a low cost of ownership and ease of serviceability.
Other benefits that Babcock customers can look forward to from the new Volvo R100E include:
- Higher levels of durability and component protection for longer lifecycles, increased uptime and reduced operational costs. Well laid out service points promote safe, quick maintenance and increased machine uptime.
- The introduction of ‘Volvo Adaptive Shift Control’ in the R100E provides automated adaptive shift schedules for excellent performance and fuel efficiencies in all operating conditions.
- A deep tapered profile in the load bin with longitudinal v-slope floor plates provides excellent load retention and low centre of gravity for operating on steeper mining slopes and load stability in all hauling conditions.
- A new suspension design and wheel track configuration absorbs high levels of ground impact shocks for excellent operator comfort and component protection.
- A new designed cab featuring an ergonomic layout, improved operator experience and a 360-degree visual system for safe and efficient operation.
Volvo CE has already completed extensive product testing of the new R100E in South Africa, a key market for rigid haulers. Production of the new Volvo-branded rigid haulers will begin in Volvo Motherwell, Scotland in mid-2018.
Although based on the existing and well-proven Terex Trucks TR-series, the new D-Series, comprising the R45D, R60D, and the R70D, have undergone an in-depth engineering review to ensure the new machines meet the standards expected from Volvo products.
The new D-Series machines will have Volvo CE branding and have benefited from numerous improvements including enhanced operator visibility and safety systems.
David Vaughan, MD for Babcock’s equipment business, stresses that customers who have purchased Terex Trucks rigid haulers will continue to receive full backing and support from Babcock during the transition period.
“Although the Terex Trucks rigid haulers will be phased out over time, Babcock will fulfil existing orders and continue to provide full after sales service to those that are in the market already,” says Vaughan.
He adds that the Terex Trucks articulated haulers will still be manufactured and that Volvo CE remains committed to Terex Trucks, an established and strong brand name.