“Accurate tonnages from scales or weighbridges are a win-win situation for all players involved in mining production”
1) Can we start with some background on and history of Spruceland Technologies, and particularly in Kenya, and your role at the organisation?
Spruceland Technologies Group is the distributor, service support provider and systems software integrator for the Spruceland range in Zambia and Southern Africa. Founded in 2009 Spruceland Group is a force in the weighing and weighbridge solutions focussed company in Zambia providing comprehensive service support through seamless integrated infrastructure. My role in the organisation is Head Sales & Marketing.
2) What projects in the mining industry that you are involved in are you particularly excited about at the moment?
At a leading copper mining company in Solwezi, Zambia, Spruceland has upgraded Lumwana Mine’s two weighbridges with digital Load Cells, and installed a new range of weighbridge software that allows the read out of axle loads.
3) What do you see as the main challenges in the industry?
From our business perspective the challenge we have seen is the slow pace at which mining giants in sub- Saharan Africa are willing to embrace new weighing system technologies especially for the years 2014-2016, which in any case if considered highly would maximize the overall production output in tonnages.
4) What role can/should the government play in the sector in your view?
The governments should have interest starting from the source of equipment that measures the annual turnover output in tonnages. It is very important to declare accurate tonnages from scales or weighbridges to actualize a win-win situation for all players involved in the mining production.
5) What is your vision for the industry?
Our vison is to continuously be a client driven partner for Africa’s mining companies
6) Why did Spruceland Technologies decide to join Kenya Mining Forum as a sponsor?
We decided to join the forum as a sponsor because you rarely hear of mining from Kenya’s economic stand point and so it was interesting to be a part of the new happenings in Kenya’s new mining industry.
7) What will be your message at the event?
Spruceland Technologies Measuring the Mining Industry
8) Anything you would like to add?
We see this event as one that can provide synergies for us and other Kenyan companies that would be interested in what we are doing in Zambia and elsewhere in sub-Saharan Africa.