“Nigeria Mining Week demonstrates how committed the country is to the future of mining”
Let’s start with some background on Mantrac Nigeria and your work in the mining sector?
• Mantrac has been in Nigeria close to 70 years.
• Working across all sectors, agriculture, construction, oil & gas, marine, mining etc.
• Good relationship with National Iron Ore Mining (Itapke), Dangote (Obajana, Ibese & Gboko) and Zuma Mining (Ankpa)
• As Mantrac (International) working with many international and national mining corporations across our six African countries and Russia
• Working in the mining industry across our dealerships for close to 70 years – large wealth of knowledge and experience
Any projects that you are involved in Nigeria that you are particularly excited about at the moment?
• As above, Dangote, Zuma and several new up-and-coming mining opportunities
What in your view are the challenges to taking the mining sector in Nigeria to the next level?
• Financial constraints as most financial institutions in Nigeria are yet to understand the nature of the business and how to structure the right finance package
• Lack of industry capacity in terms of knowledge and experience.
• Lack of mining policies to protect investors and potential investors (international and local companies)
• Political (not really much focus until recent years on mining and diversification away from oil
• Lack of mining/geological data (no previous large scale surveys conducted)
What is your vision for the mining sector in Nigeria?
• We would love to see Nigeria make the most of its natural resources
• In the short term, better policies and agendas in place to encourage investment into the industry
• Government full term commitment, “putting their money where their mouth is”
• Reduce governmental interference
• Ultimately, once one large scale mine starts up and shows viability, the mining sector will surely take off
You are a sponsor for Nigeria Mining Week. How important is this even to showcase the country’s mining potential?
• Very important, it is a chance to demonstrate how committed the country is to the future of mining.
• It helps all potential companies working in the mining world to come together and share ideas, meet and work together.
What will be your message at the event?
• Mantrac Nigeria is here to help the mining companies in whatever way possible providing the required expertise and knowledge : from site studies, recommendations, fleet optimisation, aftersales support, financial services.
Anything you would like to add?
• Buy Caterpillar Equipment !