We are seeking an Investment Geologist, based in Cape Town, working for a specialised Mining Investment house.
This geologist role has responsibility for geological models, resource and reserve estimates and preparation of technical reviews for various complex exploration and mining projects within a global context.
- Execute and provide recommendations to our investment committee in the estimation and validation of project mineral resources, geological models, mineral reserve validation and identification of resource risks and opportunities;
- Perform geological and mineral resource / reserves reviews audits and due diligence assessments;
- Ensure compliance of resource estimates with international professional standards;
- Preliminary interrogation of project cash flow financial models to identify project drivers and associated risk;
- Support business opportunity development activities through participation in conferences, and other business relationship development activities.
Skills / qualifications
- Honours Degree in Geology;
- Post graduate degree in a business related subject would be advantageous;
- More than 15 years of experience of increasing responsibility in conducting exploration and evaluation programs, drill programs, geologic interpretation and modelling and resource and reserve estimation; additional experience in a mining environment would be advantageous;
- Experience in technical research and preliminary economic analysis;
- Superior problem-solving and analytical skills;
- Significant experience in the 3D modelling and grade estimation of a variety of mineral deposits
- Extensive and active user knowledge of geological modelling and resource estimation software packages, such as Micromine, Vulcan, or Datamine;
- An understanding of the risks and sensitivities associated with project financial model cash flow forecasts and familiarity with NPV and IRR metrics and drivers;
- A significant understanding of industry dynamics in the mining sector;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Knowledge of industry standards in mineral resource and mineral reserve estimation including SAMREC and JORC reporting guidelines and familiarity with compliance with public disclosure regulations including Canada’s NI 43 – 101;
- A willingness to travel both domestically and internationally, for varying durations and at times to remote locations;
Offer – R1,500,000 – R2,000,000 CTC pa