The purpose of this role is to ensure legal compliance of the company pertaining to all legal requirements and ensure corporate governance in line with regulatory requirements. The role holder will have multiple accountabilities and authorities in the overall context of the client’s Continental Africa Region systems and processes which are summarized below.
- Report to the GM of the mine site, plan and execute legal services within the country infrastructure in response to the country’s need and risk; in accordance to global legal initiatives and with relevant supporting policies
- Applying expertise in contract negotiation, execution, and management of agreements and other legal documents for various in-country functions (in particular CAR procurement, CAR sustainability and CAR HR)
- Fulfil company secretarial duties, including submission of filings to registrar general, coordinating Board and meetings
- Assisting in the development of a legal governance framework for the business unit
- Appointment and management of external legal counsel when required by the company
- Document regional performance to satisfy regional Excom, VP: Legal CAR and Board governance requirements
- Ensuring lessons learned and knowledge is available for others in the global team and embedded within the policies and processes of the business.
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- Possess a Law Degree from a recognized University
- Admittance to practice law in Mali advantageous
- 7-10 years’ post qualification experience at a reputable commercial law firm or equivalent in-house experience, importantly having the accountability of commercial business, labour contracts as well as litigation matters
- Must be fluent in French and English
- Able to understand the nature of the gold mining industry and to identify business risks
- Accuracy and quality will be extremely important
- Preference will be given to Mali locals