The MoU, which was signed by Mosebenzi Zwane and Aurora Elvira in Santiago during the LatAm Mining Cumbre, commits the two South Africa and Chile to cooperation in areas including the following:
- Mineral processing and beneficiation
- Sharing experiences in underground mining, with a particular emphasis on technology and health and safety
- cooperating in mineral development, technology and skills transfer, including small scale mining
- sharing experiences in policy formulation and the regulatory framework
- sharing of knowledge in geology and related functions; and
- sharing experiences in environmental regulations, corporate social responsibility as well as best practices regarding inclusion of women in the mining industry.
“Given the rich history in mining in South Africa and Chile, it is only fitting that we take this forward for implementation through the MoU, for the benefit of both our countries,” says Mosebenzi Zwane.
The MoU serves as a framework to initiate the joint-cooperation work of the institutions of the two countries.