Mantrac Nigeria is a bronze sponsor at the upcoming Nigeria Mining Week in Abuja."Nigeria Mining Week demonstrates how committed the country is to the future of mining"
Let’s start with some background on Mantrac Nigeria and your work in the mining sector?
• Mantrac has been in Nigeria close to 70 years.
• Working across all sectors, agriculture, construction, oil & gas, marine, mining etc.
• Good relationship with National Iron Ore Mining (Itapke), Dangote (Obajana, Ibese & Gboko) and Zuma Mining (Ankpa)
• As Mantrac (International) working with many international and national mining corporations across our six African countries and Russia
• Working in the mining industry across our dealerships for close to 70 years – large wealth of knowledge and experience
Any projects that you are involved in Nigeria that you are particularly excited about at the moment?
• As above, Dangote, Zuma and several new up-and-coming mining opportunities
What in your view are the challenges to taking the mining sector in Nigeria to the next level?
• Financial constraints as most financial institutions in Nigeria are yet to understand the nature of the business and how to structure the right finance package
• Lack of industry capacity in terms of knowledge and experience.
• Lack of mining policies to protect investors and potential investors (international and local companies)
• Political (not really much focus until recent years on mining and diversification away from oil
• Lack of mining/geological data (no previous large scale surveys conducted)
What is your vision for the mining sector in Nigeria?
• We would love to see Nigeria make the most of its natural resources
• In the short term, better policies and agendas in place to encourage investment into the industry
• Government full term commitment, “putting their money where their mouth is”
• Reduce governmental interference
• Ultimately, once one large scale mine starts up and shows viability, the mining sector will surely take off
You are a sponsor for Nigeria Mining Week. How important is this even to showcase the country’s mining potential?
• Very important, it is a chance to demonstrate how committed the country is to the future of mining.
• It helps all potential companies working in the mining world to come together and share ideas, meet and work together.
What will be your message at the event?
• Mantrac Nigeria is here to help the mining companies in whatever way possible providing the required expertise and knowledge : from site studies, recommendations, fleet optimisation, aftersales support, financial services.
Anything you would like to add?
• Buy Caterpillar Equipment !