AMCU served Sibanye Gold with notice on Monday informing it that the AMCU members will embark on protected industrial action from the afternoon shift on Wednesday 6 April 2016 to protest the wage settlement concluded with other unions in October 2015.
AMCU president Joseph Mathunjwa told mineworkers at Driefontein on Sunday that the union planned to “put Sibanye Gold at a standstill” with the commencement of the strike.
In a statement on Monday, AMCU said that it would not be deterred by the Labour Court’s verdict last week, which dismissed the union’s court appeal, nor will the union be threatened by Sibanye Gold – as the majority union at Sibanye’s operations.
In response to the issuing of the strike notice, Sibanye CEO Neal Froneman said “the decision taken by the AMCU leadership is unfortunate, particularly coming after such an extended period following agreement on wages, which was reached with the three other representative unions at Sibanye, in October 2015.
He explained that in the interest of a harmonious working environment and sustainable operations, a decision was taken to implement the wage increases to all employees, including AMCU members, retrospectively from July 2015.
“We wish to advise that the wage increases implemented in 2015 are final and the decision taken by the AMCU leadership will not yield a different outcome”.
Froneman said that as management, “we are required to consider and protect the interests of all stakeholders and we will ensure that the viability and sustainability of our business is maintained.”
Sibanye have developed robust plans to manage the potential impact of strike action at its operations and will implement these plans accordingly.
The company said that it would also be working together with other relevant stakeholders to ensure that the industrial action is conducted peacefully, within the framework of the agreed strike rules and in accordance with the law, Froneman said.