The largest negative contributions were:
- PGMs (-23.7% and contributing – 4.5 percentage points);
- coal (-15.8% and contributing -4 percentage points);
- iron ore (-21.4% and contributing -3.7 percentage points);
- manganese ore (-24.3% and contributing -1.6 percentage points); and
- gold (-7.4% and contributing -1.2 percentage points).
Seasonally adjusted mining production decreased by 3.4% in March 2016 compared with February 2016. This followed month-on-month changes of 2.1% in February 2016 and -5.5% in January 2016.
Seasonally adjusted mining production decreased by 5.2% in the first quarter of 2016 compared with the previous quarter. PGMs (contributing -2.1 percentage points) and iron ore (contributing -1.8 percentage points) were the largest negative contributors to the -5.2% quarterly growth.
Key findings regarding mineral sales for February 2016
Mineral sales increased by 1.6% year-on-year in February 2016. The biggest positive contributor to the increase of 1.6% was gold (43.9% and contributing 6.2 percentage points). A significant negative contributor was iron ore (-31.5% and contributing -4.1 percentage points).