Johannesburg, South Africa — MININGREVIEW.COM — 25 August 2008 – A shaft at Anglo Platinum’s second-biggest mine remains shut today a full week after a worker died in an accident there, and the company says it is in discussion with the authorities over resumption of mining activities.
Anglo Platinum the world’s largest producer of the metal – told Reuters that blasting and mining work at the number one shaft at Amandelbult had been halted pending a green light from the Department of Minerals and Energy (DME).
“It has not resumed yet since last Monday, but what is affected is one shaft – not the entire mine,” said Anglo Platinum spokesman Simon Tebele. “A meeting will be held with DME officials tomorrow afternoon regarding the shaft’s re-opening,” he added.
Tebele said the output lost at the shaft would be estimated once the repairs had been completed.
Amandelbult produced 195 200 ounces in the half year to June, after losing 91 100 ounces due to flooding at the mine.
Reuters reports that South African mines recorded 85 mine deaths by June this year, after a jump to 221 mine deaths last year from 200 in 2006. This trend prompted strikes by mineworkers, a national safety audit of mines, and a review of the country’s mine safety laws.
The agency adds that the DME has also resorted to closing down operations for investigations and repairs every time a worker dies at a mine.