Burkina Faso – Earth observation and geo-information solutions provider GAF AG has been awarded a contract to support the Ministry of Mines and Energy in Ouagadougou in establishing a new computerised mining cadastre and registry system in Burkina Faso.
The overall project objective is to improve governance in the mining sector by establishing a modern, web-based system for granting and managing mineral rights.
The efficient, transparent, and reliable administration of such titles is considered to be a key factor in increasing growth and investment in the mining sector in Burkina Faso.
In practical terms, the project aims to:
- Assisting to modernize and streamline the existing legal paper cadastre system
- Create an up-to-date and consistent database of mineral rights that allows the efficient and unambiguous management of these during their entire life cycle
- Identify and clarify existing conflicts and prevent such conflicts in future
- Introduce a harmonised administrative, procedural and technical framework compliant with the law and applicable regulations
- Implement an operational and modern computerised mining title management system, that caters for governance and industry needs in Burkina Faso
The rollout of the eMC+ cadastre solution will increase the institutional capacity and efficiency of the ministry by providing a comprehensive mineral tenure management.
The 15 month contract forms part of the “Projet d’appui au développement du secteur minier” being funded by the World Bank’s International Development Association.