Conakry, Guinea — MININGREVIEW.COM — 08 December 2009 – Some mineworkers are reported to have left Guinea in response to growing tension in the West African country, but production at major minerals operations does not appear to have been affected at this stage.
Reuters reports that an unsuccessful attempt on the life of military ruler Captain Moussa Dadis Camara last week ignited fears of more turmoil in the world’s top exporter of bauxite, where firms including RUSAL, Alcoa, Rio Tinto and AngloGold Ashanti operate.
Camara was flown to Morocco for medical treatment on Friday after suffering head wounds in a gun attack. The doctor in charge of his treatment says his health is not a cause for concern after an operation.
“We are continuing to operate, keeping a close eye on the situation,” said a spokeswoman for AngloGold Ashanti “’ the world’s third biggest gold miner “’which runs the Siguiri mine in the north-east of the country. “We have reduced non-essential staff on the mine in response to the situation,” she added.
Mining firms are used to political upheaval in Guinea. Some are in dispute with Camara’s ruling National Council for Democracy and Development over ownership of facilities or resources.
“Rusal’s production facilities in Guinea are operating as normal,” the Russian metals giant said in response to e-mailed questions. “The company is taking all measures to provide for the safety of its employees,” the company added, giving no details.
About half of the expatriate workers at Compagnies des Bauxites de Guinee (CBG) “’ the world’s biggest bauxite exporting firm “’ fled Guinea because of security concerns earlier this year, a source in the company reported.