HomeEnergy MineralsNew Beira coal terminal opens today

New Beira coal terminal opens today

One of two quadrant
ship-loaders at the
new Beira coal terminal
Beira, Mozambique — 04 June 2012 – The new coal terminal at the port of Beira in Mozambique’s Sofala province was due to be opened today to start the export of coal produced by Brazilian mining giant Vale and Anglo-Australian mining group Rio Tinto.

Reporting the new development from here, Macauhub News Agency quotes the Mozambican daily newspaper “Notícias” as saying that new terminal “’ construction of which began in September 2010 “’ has so far needed investment of US$200 million. This has covered engineering work, construction, mechanical and electrical work, as well as acquisition of equipment for processing and shipping coal and control of environmental quality.

In a statement issued here, port and rail management company Portos e Caminhos de Ferro de Moçambique (CFM), the owner of the terminal, said that Vale and Rio Tinto would use the facility to handle their coal over the next 60 months. The terminal is operated by Cornelder Moçambique.

Under the terms of its contract Cornelder can partner third parties that are experienced in handling bulk cargo, in order to optimise the capacity available at the terminal.

The coal terminal at the port of Beira is part of the investments carried out by CFM as part of the reconstruction of the Sena railroad, which is considered an essential corridor for carrying coal and other goods along the Zambezi Valley.

Vale will use 68% of the terminal’s capacity, while Rio Tinto will use the remaining 32%.

Source: Macauhub News Agency. For more information, click here.