The site of the
new Beira coal
terminal
 
Beira, Mozambique — 04 December 2012 – The new coal terminal at the Mozambican port of Beira, which has been undergoing temporary refurbishment work since 2010, is expected to be fully operational as of the beginning of 2015.

Macauhub News Agency reports that the chairman of state port and railway management company Portos e Caminhos de Ferro de Moçambique (CFM), told Mozambican magazine Xitimela that temporary refurbishment work had been finished at the end of August 2011. This included emergency dredging which cost US$43 million and allowed the port to receive ships with deadweight tonnage (DWT) of 60,000, as compared to a capacity of up to 30,000 DWT previously.

According to the chairman, conclusion of reconstruction of the Sena railroad will make it possible to, “increase the annual volume of cargo processed at the port of Beira, up to 20Mtpa, mainly by exporting coal from Moatize.”

In 2010, mining companies Vale Moçambique an Riversdale Mining, later acquired by the Rio Tinto group, signed a memorandum of understanding with CFM, in order to temporarily repair the terminal at the port of Beira to export the Moatize coal.

The two companies were given coal processing and export capacities of 5Mtpa, and Vale Moçambique took up most of the terminal’s capacity – 68% – and Riversdale Mining the remaining 32%

Source: Macauhub News Agency. For more information, click here.