Kenyan cabinet
secretary for mining
Najib Balala
 
Nairobi, Kenya — 26 September 2013 – The government of Kenya has confirmed that it is in the process of revoking existing mining licences and formulating a new mining policy which will set the standards for the country’s mining industry.

The principal secretary at the Ministry of Mining, Richard Ekae said that the ministry wanted to ensure that the sector contributed immensely to the economy of the country, and also raised the livelihood of the locals living in areas where mining activities were ongoing. Ekae added that all mining contracts would be awarded competitively for both local and international investors, according to allAfrica.com.

On August 5 the Kenyan government revoked all mining licences that had been issued between January and May this year.

Cabinet secretary for mining Najib Balala said at the time that most of the licences had been issued under questionable circumstances to unqualified people and companies.

The licenses were allegedly awarded after the dissolution of the 10th Parliament with Balala saying that there had been no proper legal framework for the process.

“We are revoking all licences from miners and mining companies for us to understand the process used to issue them, and to confirm that the people they were awarded to are qualified to hold them,” said Balala.

The principal secretary added that the government was seeking expert knowledge from countries that had better policies and well established mining sectors.

“We are in a learning process but we are doing fast. We want to learn from countries such as Australia and Canada which have well established mining sectors.”

Source: allAfrica.com. For more information, click here.