Khartoum, Sudan — 07 May 2013 – The government of North Darfur has dismissed death figures circulated in the media this week of about 100 miners who were trapped last week inside a collapsed gold mine in the Jebel Amir district of Sudan, more than 200km north-west of the North Darfur state capital, El Fasher.
allAfrica.com reports that in a statement signed by North Darfur acting governor al-Fatih Abdel-Aziz Abdel-Nabi, the government said that a committee headed by the al-Siraif mayor had visited the mine area on Saturday.
The committee had concluded that only one mine had been impacted, and that five people had been killed. Three of the bodies had been retrieved while efforts to recover the remaining two had failed.
A delegation from the African Union-United Nations mission in Darfur (UNAMID) had accompanied the committee and certified the findings, the government said.
The statement added that there had been no reports of missing persons in the period April 29 to May 4 in the gold mine area.
Earlier this week it was reported that 100 miners had died at the gold mine in the Jebel Amir district, and that nine other rescuers had been killed as well.
Source: allAfrica.com. For more information, click here.