HomeIndustrial MineralsVale about to complete Mozambique phosphate study

Vale about to complete Mozambique phosphate study

Vale headquarters
in Sao Paulo, Brazil
Maputo, Mozambique — 23 July 2012 – A feasibility study for phosphate exploration by Vale Mozambique “’ subsidiary of Brazilian-based global mining giant Vale SA “’ is at a very advanced stage and will soon be concluded and presented to the Mozambican government for assessment.    

Confirming this here, Vale director for Africa, Ricardo Saad said the project, which was located in the Monapo district of the northern province of Nampula, required an investment of US$40 million, of which US$20 million had already been spent on surveys, laboratory testing, pre-feasibility studies, environmental licensing and public consultations.

Macauhub News Agency reports that the potential area, which has capacity to produce 42Mt of phosphates and is located 130km from Nampula, was granted under concession to Vale Mozambique, for a period of 30 years. The project includes construction of an industrial complex to manufacture fertiliser, in the coastal district of Nacala-a-Velha, located on a 700 hectare plot in the Nanare area.

The fertiliser project is just a minor part of the significant investments made by Vale in Nampula, specifically construction and exploration of a 912km railroad between the cities of Moatize, in Tete province, and the port of Nacala.

The work will be carried out by a consortium in which Vale has a share of 80%. The Mozambican government, via state rail and port company Portos e Caminhos de Ferro de Mocambique (CFM), owns the remaining 20%.

Source: Macauhub News Agency. For more information, click here.