Home to abundant mineral reserves, including strategic battery metals such as cobalt, tin and lithium, the Democratic Republic of Congo is without a doubt a booming mining destination in Africa and has attracted eager investor interest over the years.
However, with an ever-changing mining code, insufficient infrastructure, political instability and the recent impact of the global health crisis of COVID-19, it can be a challenging destination in which to do business.
With the development of new mining operations such as the Kamoa-Kakula copper project, the redevelopment and upgrading of the historic Kipushi zinc-copper-germanium-silver mine in the DRC, show a worthwhile offering towards prospective project developers and investors on upcoming mineral discoveries and untapped territories.
In this webinar, there will be discussions around how mining companies, project developers and international suppliers can penetrate the DRC mining market.
This will be highlighted by key influencers, sector specialist and the most successful players who have done business in the DRC mining market sharing their journey towards a profitable business in the DRC, unpacking the hurdles on the way and their strategy to penetrate the market and become prosperous stakeholders in the country and Copperbelt region.
The panel discussion will unpack:
- What is the current mining climate in the DRC amidst the global health crisis of COVID-19?
- Reviewing the revision of the Mining Code and its intended proposal around aspects such as sub-contracting, imposing royalties and corporate taxes
- How do you increase a friendlier environment for international suppliers in the DRC market?
- Uncovering the latest funding and procurement models
- How to become a sub-contractor and how to meet the expectations of mining companies?
- Best practice methods- Success stories from different mineral rich African countries
- How do you set up shop in the DRC- navigating your way in finding a local partner?
John Kanyoni, Vice President | Chamber of Mines of the DRC
Olebogeng Sentsho, Chief Executive Officer | Ayana Group, South Africa
Eric Bruggerman, Chief Executive Officer | South African Capital Equipment Export Council, South Africa
Tshiamala Tonka, Mining Director | Deloitte, DRC