Through its studies, the African Development Bank’s (AfDB) African Natural Resources Center (ANRC) looks at the different ways in which countries are designing policies and partnering with investors to reap social and economic benefits from extractive industries.
The case studies were commissioned by ANRC to bridge the knowledge gap as relates to natural resources project-driven small and medium enterprise (SME) development, supply chain-based domestic linkages, extractives revenue management, public-private partnerships (PPP) and fiscal policy formulation.
“These case studies form a crucial part in ANRC efforts to support countries achieve inclusive and sustained growth by providing decision-makers with evidence-based tools and opportunities to benchmark policies on natural resources management,” says ANRC director Sheila Khama.
The case studies showcase a range of extractives project-related initiatives and policies deployed in four countries and the positive effects these have on local and national economies. The case studies include:
- A malaria prevention and treatment public private partnership programme set up by Ashanti Gold Mining in collaboration with the government of Ghana, the World Health Organization and the Global Fund to reduce the rate and impact of infection’s unaffected districts. This case study demonstrates the positive impact of strategic PPPs between extractives companies and governments on human development.
- An innovative business development program by Anglo American of South Africa to support entrepreneurs from historically disadvantaged groups. This report illustrates ways of leveraging the procurement muscle of extractives projects to promote SME start-ups and employment.
- Botswana’s mineral revenues expenditure and savings policy. This case study examines the experience of a resources-dependent country’s approaches to mining revenue management
- Debswana Botswana’s partnership with the De Beers Group and a program for reducing HIV/AIDS infection to improve health service delivery and effectively minimize the adverse effects of the epidemic on employees and their families. This case study illustrates the positive effects of PPPs as a vehicle for directly impacting on human development.
- Chile’s fiscal policy implementation and mining revenue management. The report demonstrates the importance of effective policy and institutional frameworks in managing extractives revenue.